Pollution to water or land
If you become aware of a pollution incident or even a potential risk to the water environment (surface or groundwater), it is essential that this is reported immediately to the relevant organisation:
Discharging from pipes and septic tanks.
- Report to the Environment Agency via their 24/7 hotline 0800 80 70 60; and report to Anglian Water using their online form, or call their 24/7 hotline on 03457 145 145.
Overland soil run-off (from damaged road verges, arable and livestock fields); drainage ditches, field drains and pipes; spoil heaps; and manure and land spreading (arable and livestock).
- Report to the Environment Agency via their 24/7 hotline 0800 80 70 60.
Construction works; building sites; industrial effluent; urban sediment and surface run-off.
- Report to the Environment Agency via their 24/7 hotline 0800 80 70 60; and report to construction company if contact details are visible at the site entrance.
If possible, have the following information to hand:
- What you’ve seen – description e.g. colour and smell, length of watercourse impacted and any wildlife affected;
- Location – key landmarks, and is it near or flowing towards a watercourse;
- Date and time it was first seen.